This recipe is best with
- 240g plain flour
- 25g icing sugar
- 185g cold butter, diced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp ice cold water
- 180g pecan nuts
- 80g butter
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 75g brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 20g plain flour
- 25g self-raising flour
- Grease a non-stick 23cm loose-based fluted pie tin. Sift flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut butter into flour with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in lemon juice and enough water to bind the ingredients together. Knead lightly to form a firm dough. Wrap pastry with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between two plastic sheets into a circle just sufficient to line the base of the tin. (Do not stretch pastry.) Trim and neaten the edges. Prick the base with a fork and chill for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and place a piece of greaseproof paper over the base of pastry. Place black-eye beans or any peas or even rice on the paper and bake blind in a preheated oven at 200 ºC for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans.
- Scatter pecan nuts evenly over the pastry base.
- Put butter, sugar, golden syrup and eggs in a saucepan and melt over a low heat. Stir in sifted flours and blend well until mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture over the pecan nuts. Place filled up flan tin on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180 ºC for 30 minutes or until filling is firm.