This recipe is best with
- 85gm pkt raspberry jelly crystals
- 250gm unfilled packaged sponge cake
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam (or any berry jam)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sweet sherry
- 1/4 cup (30gm) custard powder
- 1/4 cup (55gm) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 300ml thickened cream
- 825gm can sliced peaches, drained
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds, toasted
- Make jelly according to the directions on packet; refrigerate until mixture is the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Meanwhile, split cake in half horizontally through centre; sandwich cake halves with jam. Cut cake into 3cm squares.
- Place cake in 5 litre (10 cup) deep serving bowl; sprinkle with sherry.
- Combine custard powder and sugar in medium saucepan. Gradually blend in milk; stir over heat unti mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and 1/2 cup of the cream. Cover surface completely with plastic wrap (note:there should be no gap between wrap and custard, otherwise a skin will form on the custard top); cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, pour jelly over cake, cover; refrigerate until jelly sets.
- Top jelly with peaches, then with custard.
- Beat remaining cream in small bowl with electric mixer (you can also hand beat with a whisk) until soft peaks form. Spread cream over custard; refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with almonds before serving.