- 6 dried chillies, soaked
- 5 red chillies
- 10 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3cm square piece belacan
- 2 tbsp (heaped) tamarind pulp mixed with 100ml water, squeezed for juice and strained
- 150g peanuts (groundnuts), roasted and coarsely ground
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp palm sugar (gula Melaka), ground
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Blend the chillies, shallots and garlic in a food processor until fine. Heat oil and fry blended chilli mixture and belacan until aromatic.
- Add palm sugar and coconut milk and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add tamarind juice and salt to taste. Stir and cook for a while until well blended.
- Remove from heat and stir in ground peanuts to mix. Serve vegetables with the sauce separately or pour sauce over the vegetables.
- Toss to mix before serving.