- 100g pigeon peas (Dong Gu Dao) - you will need approximately 170g of pea pods for this amount of peas
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- 2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 5-6 dried shiitake mushrooms*, soaked and diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp vegetable extract (Marmite or Vegemite)
- salt to taste
- Pour water into a pot with bay leaf and olive oil. Add mushrooms and bring to a boil. Mix in peas and crushed pepper, continue boiling on high for 20 minutes till peas are soft.
- Stir in the vegetable extract and add salt to taste. Add the celery and coriander last and switch off stove.
- * You may substitute mushrooms with diced chicken breast.