This recipe is best with
- 1 whole chicken, about 1.5kg
- Marinade (A) - combined
- 1 tbsp freshly pounded ginger
- 1 tsp finely pounded garlic
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Heinz yellow mustard
- Marinade (B) - combined
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp finely ground garlic
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules
- 1½ tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- Cut chicken into half to lay it flat. Rinse and pat-dry with paper kitchen towels. Rub combined marinade (A) on the meat side of the chicken pieces. On the skin side of the chicken rub with marinade (B).
- Arrange marinated chicken in a plastic container and refrigerate for several hours or preferably overnight.
- Place chicken with breast side up on a roasting rack. Roast chicken in preheated oven at 180°C for 45-50 minutes. Turn over halfway through the cooking time and baste chicken with pan drippings or extra virgin olive oil.
- Test chicken with a wooden skewer inserted in the thickest part of the flesh. The chicken is done if there is a clear liquid oozing out. For an even golden brown skin give the chicken an extra 5-10 minutes.