- 1 cleaned pig tripe
- 1/2 chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 150g gingko nuts, shelled and skinned
- 1 can button mushrooms, halved
- 4–5 cloves garlic, keep whole with skins intact
- 1 tbsp white peppercorns, mashed lightly
- 10 water chestnuts, halved
- 3 litres hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules
- Cut tripe into thick strips. (ready-cleaned ones are available from the butcher.)
- Put chicken, tripe, garlic, peppercorns and gingko nuts into a deep pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, over a gentle flame for one hour to 90 minutes or until the tripe is tender.
- Add water chestnuts and button mushrooms, and boil for 10–15 minutes. Add seasoning and serve the soup hot.