This recipe is best with
- 200g superfine flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 75g castor sugar
- 90g butter
- 1½ tbsp chilled evaporated milk
- Pineapple filling:
- (make 1-2 days ahead)
- 1 medium-sized pineapple
- 120g castor sugar
- 2 cloves
- 30g golden syrup
- Sift superfine flour into a mixing bowl. Add salt and sugar to mix. Rub butter lightly into the flour with the tip of your fingers till mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add evaporated milk and mix with both hands to form a pastry dough.
- Roll out dough between two plastic sheets to 0.3cm thickness. Cut pastry with a floral design cutter. Place the cutout pastry pieces into non-stick mini pie tin cases. Make a small dent in the centre with the tip of your finger. Fill each hollow with a tiny ball of filling. Top with a tiny piece of pastry.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 18-20 minutes or until pastry is light golden in colour. Cool on wire racks before storing in airtight container.
- For the pineapple filling: Remove skin and 'eyes' from the pineapple, then grate coarsely.
- Use a piece of muslin cloth to squeeze out the juice (do not squeeze until too dry.)
- Place pineapple, sugar and cloves in a heavy-based saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently for 25-30 minutes. Stir in golden syrup and continue to cook for 20-25 minutes or until jam is thick.
- Cool thoroughly until jam is dry. Take small bits of pineapple jam and form into small balls (to be used for the cookies).
- Tip: Any remaining pineapple jam can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks.