To make the pineapple jam:
- Place grated pineapple and sugar in a heavy-bottomed aluminium saucepan and cook over moderate heat until it begins to boil.
- Add essences and lower the flame, then continue to cook until mixture is almost dry and thick. Keep stirring all the time (this takes about an hour). Leave aside to cool.
To make the pastry:
- Cream butter, margarine and sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Add essence and salt and beat until fluffy.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients and mix to a firm dough. Put mixture into a nastar mould and press out into strips 6cm to 7cm long.
- Place 1/2 tsp of pineapple jam filling on the edge of a strip and make a small elongated roll. Cut off excess dough. Put nastar rolls on greased trays. Brush with egg glaze. Bake in preheated oven at 180ºC for 20 minutes or till golden brown. Cool on wire racks before storing.
- To make egg glaze, lightly beat the above ingredients together.