This recipe is best with
- 250g flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 125g butter, softened
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 bamboo sticks
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup coloured caster sugar (or brown sugar)
- 30 M&M's candy buttons
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the butter, cream cheese and egg yolk on medium speed until smooth. Lower speed and add the flour, mixing until it forms a smooth dough. Remove, wrap with cling film, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with non-stick silicon mat or baking parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to about 3mm thickness. Cut into 7 or 8cm squares. With a sharp knife, cut the dough diagonally from each corner to within 2cm of the centre of each square. Insert a bamboo stick into the centre from a horizontal position.
- Brush the pastry square with egg white and sprinkle with coloured sugar, avoiding the centre of the square. Bring the four edges of the dough to overlap in the centre to form a pinwheel; press down lightly in the centre to secure.
- Remove the pinwheel carefully with a spatula to the lined baking tray. Brush centre with egg white and press an M&M's candy button into it.
- Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Dislodge the cookies gently and allow to cool completely.