To prepare stock:
- Bring the water to boil with the chicken, pork (if using) and crushed peppercorns.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, then remove from heat and strain the stock. Set aside.
- This should produce about 1.5 to 2 litres of stock; if insufficient, top up with water.
To prepare aromatic dipping sauce:
- In an electric blender, blend the chillies, shallots, lemongrass, and garlic until they form a smooth paste.
- Heat a little oil over medium heat and stir-fry the paste until fragrant.
- Add water, bring sauce to boil and remove from heat.
- Mix in the bottled chilli sauce, and sugar and salt to taste. Set aside.
To prepare food skewers:
- Thread all the remaining ingredients onto the bamboo skewers as in preparing sticks of satay, so there will be sticks of beef, bread, eggs, mushrooms, etc.
- Make sure to leave a section of the skewer unthreaded to serve as handle.
- Set aside, covered with cling film, in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Bring the stock (or water) to boil and keep it simmering over a portable stove placed in the centre of the table.
- Arrange platefuls of skewered food around the hot pot.
- Cook by dipping into the simmering stock.
- Serve with the various dipping sauces.