- Clean and wash duck. Dry thoroughly with a paper towel. Rub inside and outside with salt. Sprinkle with peppercorns.
- Wrap duck in aluminum foil and place a heavy weight on top. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove foil and place duck on steamer tray. Cover and steam over boiling water 1 1/2 hours.
- Line large wok and wok lid with aluminum foil. Place tea leaves, rice, and brown sugar on foil.
- Put a rack above the mixture or place 4 chopsticks crosswise approximately 1 inch above it.
- Place duck on rack, breast side up. Cover wok and seal tightly to prevent smoke from escaping.
- Turn on high heat. Roast tea mixture until it smokes.
- Smoke duck 10 minutes on high heat. Reduce heat to moderate. Smoke another 10 minutes. Turn off heat. Leave duck in wok 20 minutes more.
- Remove duck. Cool thoroughly. Rub with soy sauce. Sprinkle evenly with cornstarch.
- Heat oil in wok and deep-fry duck 10 minutes (5 minutes each side). Remove. Drain on paper towel.
- Chop into bite-sized pieces. Serve hot with peppercorn salt and buns.
- May be prepared in advance or frozen after step 10. Thaw and refry before serving.
You may also like