- 500-600g medium large prawns
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 260-300ml water
- Shell the prawns, leaving the tails intact. Dab dry and set aside.
- Sift self-raising flour and bicarbonate soda together and combine with salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Pour in water gradually and stir and mix until batter is free from lumps. (The consistency of batter should be just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.)
- Dip prawns in batches into batter and deep-fry in medium hot oil until lightly golden brown. Remove and drain on absorbent kitchen towels.