- Pate Sablee - Tender Tart Dough: Beat the butter and icing sugar together until a smooth consistency is attained.
- Push the hard boiled egg yolk through a sieve and stir in the raw egg yolk and vanilla.
- Add this to the butter mixture and stir until blended.
- Add the flour and salt to the butter mixture. Stir until blended.
- Shape the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic and chill until firm for about 2 hours.
- Thaw in the fridge before using.
- Note: The dough can be prepared and frozen for up to 3 months.
- Pumpkin Crème Brulee Tart: Unwrap the chilled dough and slice it into 8 pieces.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece into a circle that is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Line 8 ungreased 4-inch removable bottom fluted tart shells with a piece of dough, pressing the dough into the shell and trimming away the excess dough.
- Chill the tart shells for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 162 degrees Celcius and place the tart shells on a baking tray, dock the bottom of each shell with a fork.
- Bake them for about 18 minutes, until the edges begin to brown a little. Cool the shells before filling.
- For the filling, combine the cream cheese and brown sugar with a blender or immersion blender.
- Add the egg yolks, pumpkin puree, ginger, cinnamon and brandy. Blend them until smooth.
- Pour filling into the cooled tart shells and return to the 162 degrees Celcius oven to bake for about 16 minutes.
- Bake until the filling has set around the edges, but still a little jiggly in the centre.
- Cool the tarts to room temperature for at least 3 hours before chilling.
You may also like