- Soak the glutinous rice in water for at least two hours prior to cooking.
- Mix all the ingredients for the glutinous rice in a container, and steam for about 25 minutes. It should be slightly undercooked.
- While the rice is steaming, deseed and chop the pumpkin and steep in enough water just to cover it, adding the cinnamon, star anise and sugar. Simmer for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Skin the cooked pumpkin (discarding the spices) and mash it finely. Add the corn starch and just about 1 tbsp of the sugary water.
- Spread the glutinous rice on the bottom of a 23cm pan, and flatten it.
- Spread the pumpkin mix on top of the rice.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the custard and place over a low heat until all the sugar has melted, then pour it on top of the pumpkin/glutinous rice.
- Cover and steam for 35 minutes, or until the top custard is relatively firm.
- Allow to thoroughly chill before cutting.
You may also like