- 1/4 cup tuar dal (yellow split peas)
- 1/4 cup masoor dal
- 4 large tomatoes, optional
- 1/2 tsp tamarind extract
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 or 3 dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp hing powder (asafoetida)
- 1/2 methi seeds (fenugreek)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 mustard seeds
- a bunch of coriander and curry leaves
- salt to taste
- Cook the dal well with sufficient water. Add tomatoes, salt, chilly powder and tamarind extract. Crush the cumin and garlic and add black pepper to the rasam.
- Simmer for a few minutes and add the hing powder. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the mustard seeds until they pop. Add the methi seeds and curry leaves after switching off the fire and add to the rasam.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.