THIS classic French dish is so popular, it’s even featured in a movie. Even if you’re not a veggie lover, Ratatouille may just be the dish that changes your mind with its delightful flavours.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 4 tbsp palm oil
- 200 g fresh shiitake mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 onion (cubed)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 zucchinis (green and yellow, cut into 2cm cubes)
- 2 capsicums (red and green, seeded and diced)
- 300 g tomato (peeled and cubed)
- 100 g tomato paste
- 1 tbsp thyme (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp red wine (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 30 g Parmesan cheese
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp palm oil over medium heat, then add mushrooms. Without stirring, brown one side, turn over and repeat the process.
- Remove the mushroom and set aside. Add the remaining oil and sauté the onions and garlic till onion is soft, then add the zucchini and capsicum.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients (except for cheese) and simmer till vegetables are tender and mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cheese