This recipe is best with
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- 275g risotto rice (arborio)
- ½ cup fresh shitake mushroom, chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 900ml fresh chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 50g Parmesan, freshly grated
- Heat fresh chicken stock or vegetable stock in a saucepan to a gentle simmer.
- Heat olive oil and half the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Fry onion and bay leaves for 3-4 minutes until fragrant or softened.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the grains well with the fat.
- Add mushrooms and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in wine and boil, stirring until absorbed.
- Add a ladleful of simmering stock.
- Stir until absorbed then continue to add the remaining stock by the ladleful, stirring until the rice is tender but still retains some bite.
- Stir in remaining butter and add grated Parmesan. Season to taste and take off the heat.
- Cover the saucepan and leave risotto to stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Dish out and serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.