Tabouleh is a Mediterranean salad usually made with ingredients such as bulgur, cucumber, tomato, onion and parsley. This Pegaga Tabouleh recipe uses Pegaga leaves to gives a local twist to the salad.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup of precooked bulgar wheat
- 1 cup water
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup of pegaga leaves
- 1/4 cup of mint leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded
- 1/2 a medium cucumber, deseeded
- Salt and ground black pepper, according to taste
- In a pot, heat up the olive oil. Brown the bulgar wheat in the oil, and then add the water. Cook for about ten minutes, stirring once in awhile. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Put the shallots and lemon juice in a bowl, and set aside.
- Put the pegaga and mint leaves in a salad spinner to thoroughly dry them. Roll the pegaga and mint leaves tightly, and slice them finely. Dice the tomatoes and cucumber.
- In a big bowl, mix the leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, bulgar wheat, shallots and lemon juice. Season with salt and black pepper.