The recipe here is deconstructed Hainanese chicken rice, re-imagined as an appetiser or dimsum item.
The recipe is first published on TheStar. Read the full article on https://www.thestar.com.my/food/food-news/2020/08/25/a-celebration-of-local-flavours
- 250g white rice
- 500g ground chicken
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 5 tinned water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2cm knob fresh ginger, minced
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Chilli garlic sauce:
- 6 red chillies, seeded
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2cm knob fresh ginger, peeled
- 3-4 tbsp calamansi lime juice
- sugar and salt, to taste
- Wash the rice and soak in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Roll one-tablespoon portions of the mixture into balls. Roll each ball over the rice to coat.
- Place the rice balls on a heatproof plate/steaming rack lined with parchment paper or bamboo leaves in a single layer and spaced 1cm apart.
- Steam rice balls over boiling water until cooked through and rice is tender, 20-25 minutes. Serve with chilli sauce.
- To make Chilli garlic sauce: Blend the chillies, garlic and ginger together. Add lime juice, sugar and salt to taste.