This recipe is best with
- Ghee (clarified butter)/margarine
- 2 tbsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 4-6 cardamom pods
- 3 cinnamon sticks, 5-cm (2-in) lengths each
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 green chillies, halved lengthwise
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 400g (14 oz) Basmati rice, washed and drained
- 625 ml (20 fl oz/2½ cups)water
- Salt to taste
- Heat ghee/margarine in a pot and fry cumin until it changes colour.
- Then, add turmeric powder, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon. Fry until fragrant.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Cook over medium heat for one minute then add tomato.
- Add drained rice and mix until well-coated.
- Add water, salt and cook until all the water is fully absorbed.
- Cover pot and cook over low heat for another 5-7 minutes or until rice is done. Serve.