- Fry all ingredients in a pan over low heat about 5 minutes. Grind finely in electric spice grinder you will only need 1 tablespoon for this recipe. Save the rest for later use.
- Wash dhal in several changes of water.
- Add 750 ml fresh water and cook till dhal is soft. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a medium-size
- pan and fry mustard and fenugreek seeds till they pop about 2 minutes. Add shallots and tomatoes and cook 3 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add cooked dhall to the mixture and stir in sambar powder, 1 tablespoon of the ground spice mixture* and the tamarind extract.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Just before serving, drizzle some melted ghee over the dhall and sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves.
You may also like