- 675g chicken, beef or pork, sliced into 2.5cm pieces and lightly scored to tenderise the meat
- Marinade (combine in a bowl):
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jintan putih)
- 1 tsp fennel powder (jintan manis)
- 1 tbsp lemon grass (serai), sliced and pounded finely
- 2 thin slices galangal (lengkuas), pounded finely
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp pati santan
- Mix meat with marinade and allow to stand for more than an hour. Thread meat onto satay sticks or skewers.
- Brush meat with pati santan or remaining marinade just before grilling over heated charcoal. While grilling, brush occasionally with oil.