This recipe is best with
- 200g butter
- 130g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 15g fermented red beancurd (nam yee), mashed through a sieve
- 1 clove garlic, finely mashed
- 20g dried prawns, finely chopped
- 35g sesame seeds
- Sift together
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- For decoration
- A mixture of white and black sesame seeds
- Lightly grease baking trays with a little butter. Beat butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk to mix.
- Combine fermented red beancurd with garlic and add to creamed mixture. Fold in sifted dry ingredients followed by dried prawns and sesame seeds. Mix the dough well and put into a plastic bag. Chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Take one third of the dough at a time and roll out between 2 plastic sheets until 3mm thick. Stamp out desired shapes and place on prepared trays. Sprinkle combined sesame seeds on the cookies. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15-16 minutes or until golden brown. Leave on the tray for a while before transferring onto wire racks to cool completely.