- Grease baking trays lightly with butter and preheat oven to 180°c.
- Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until mixture is just combined.
- Add essence, sifted dry ingredients and salt. Use a cling film wrap to roll the dough then chill in the refrigerator for about 30-35 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 4mm thick slices or stamp out the cut rounds with a cookie cutter of any shape.
- Place on prepared baking trays and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove baked cookies on to a wire rack to cool.
- Spread one piece of the cooled shortbread with jam, stick it to another piece and serve.
You may also like