- 180g green beans
- 40g dried split lotus seeds (with skin), washed and soaked for 30 - 40 minutes
- 1 piece dried mandarin peel (the size of a 50 sen coin)
- 150g castor sugar
- 1.8 litres water
- 2 screwpine leaves, shredded and knotted
- 25g pearl sago, washed and drained in a colander
- Wash green beans well. Put in a container and leave in the refrigerator overnight. (This makes it easier and faster to cook the beans.)
- Put water in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Add in green beans, lotus seeds, mandarin peel and screwpine leaves.
- Simmer for 50-60 minutes or until beans and lotus seeds are soft.
- Add sugar and simmer until sugar dissolves. Put in sago and keep stirring until sago is cooked and transparent.
- Add a pinch of salt or to taste. Discard screwpine leaves. Serve immediately.