This Onion and Asian Garlic Blue Cheese Gratinee makes a great soupy treat for rainy days.
The topping of sliced baguette and blue cheese melts and soaks in the soup to produce a thicker and more indulgent texture to the soup.
This recipe is best with
- 300g onion, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 100g smoked garlic, sliced
- 200g butter
- 1litre chicken or beef stock
- 1/2 baguette
- 100g Emmental cheese, grated
- 100g Fourme d'Ambert or other French cow blue cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter over low heat and cook onion until golden brown in colour, stirring occasionally.
- Add in garlic and cook for another 10 additional minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with sale and pepper.
- Slice the baguette 2cm thick and bake in the over at 150°C until golden brown and completely dry.
- Ladle soup into an ovenproof dish. Place two or three slices of baguette in the dish and top with the cheese. Place the top rack of the oven and bake (gratinate) in a preheated oven at 200°C until cheese is melted and browned slightly.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot.