Try this Tangy Thai soup boiled with multiple spices. It is spicy, flavourful and will definitely warm your belly!
- ½ a kampong chicken (about 750g) (chopped)
- ¼tsp salt
- 1litre coconut milk
- 5-6 kaffir lime leaves
- 2stalks lemongrass (smashed)
- 4cm knob galangal (lightly smashed)
- 10 bird’s eye chillies (lightly smashed)
- ½tsp white peppercorns
- ½tsp black peppercorns
- 2 shallots (peeled and keep whole)
- 3 coriander roots
- 100g hon shimeji mushrooms (trimmed)
- 100g abalone mushrooms (torn into pieces)
- 50ml thick coconut milk
- 3-4tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3tbsp fish sauce
- 1tsp chicken stock granules
- 1tbsp Thai tom yam paste
- Lightly marinate chicken with salt. Arrange on a heatproof dish and steam over high heat for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Combine coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, bird's eye chillies, kaffir lime leaves, shallots, coriander roots, and black and white peppercorns in a pot. Bring to a boil over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add pre-steamed chicken and the stock to the soup stock. Add all mushrooms, thick coconut milk and seasoning. Stir well and cook for 4-5 minutes. Dish out soup into individual bowls and serve hot.