- 750g chicken, cut into bite size piece
- 3 onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tbsp ginger, diced
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin, coarsely pounded/ground
- 1 tsp fennel, coarsely pounded/ground
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, coarsely pounded/ground
- 1 tabsp black pepper, coarsley pounded/ground
- 2 sticks cinnamon, coarsley pounded/ground
- 4 star anise, coarsley pounded/ground
- 4 cardamom, coarsley pounded/ground
- 5 dried chillies, broken
- 3 fresh chillies (optional)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- 6-7 tbsp thick soy sauce
- salt or light soy sauce as required
- oil about 1/2 cup
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce, pepper, cumin, fennel, coriander and one sprig of curry leaf for about 30 minutes, longer if time permits.
- Heat oil in pan and fry cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, cloves, dried chillies and curry leaves over low heat. Add onions,garlic and ginger and fry till onions turn slightly golden.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook, stirring occasionally. When chicken is almost cooked, add tomatoes and fresh chillies and cook till done.
- Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Note: Always cook on low to medium heat, to prevent chicken from sticking to pot.
You may also like