- 200 g anchovies (ikan bilis) cleaned, washed and drained
- 1 tomato cut into wedges
- 1 red chilli seeded and cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp oil
- Ground (combined):
- 2-2½tbsp ground chilli paste (chilli boh)
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1 ginger flower (bunga kantan)
- 3 stalks polygonum leaves (daun kesom) use the leaves only
- 1 cm piece galangal chopped coarsely
- 1½tbsp tamarind paste or asam jawa mixed with 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tbsp ikan bilis stock granules
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- Deep-fry anchovies until crispy. Drain and set aside in a serving plate.
- Heat oil in a wok and sauté ground ingredients until fragrant, then simmer for three to four minutes.
- Add seasoning, tomato and red chilli to mix. Pour sauce over fried anchovies and serve this tasty dish with plain white rice or nasi lemak.