Otak-otak is a grilled spicy fish cake wrapped in banana leaf.
Check out how to make your own Otak-otak at home through this recipe.
- For the pizza dough:
- 150ml lukewarm water
- 1 tsp easy blend yeast
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 115g plain flour
- 110g high protein flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 100g Muar otak-otak (store-bought), lightly mashed
- 50g canned tuna chunks, lightly mashed
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Tomato paste, for spreading on pizza
- 100g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 black olives, diced
- 1 green capsicum, cut into thin rounds
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- To prepare the dough: Put lukewarm water in a cup then add the yeast and sugar. Stir gently then let it sit until it is active and foamy.
- Place both flours in a mixing bowl. Add salt and olive oil and attach the dough hook to the mixture. Stir the flour mixture gently while adding the foamy yeast mixture. Now run the mixture on low speed until mixture is combined and wet. Let the mixture come together into a ball that is just a bit sticky.
- Next spray a second mixing bowl with cooking spray and put in the dough. Cover with cling film wrap and let it rise to double in size.
- To prepare filling: Heat olive oil in a saucepan and fry onion until softened. Add Muar otak-otak and tuna pieces. Adjust with pepper to taste and stir to combine. Dish out and put aside.
- Roll pizza dough to fit a 32-35cm greased pizza tray. Prick the pizza dough base with a fork and brush with a little olive oil. Bake in preheated hot oven at 220°C for 7-10 mins.
- Remove pizza dough base from the oven and spread with tomato paste on the half baked dough. Top lightly with half of the mozzarella cheese and prepared otak-tuna mixture. Add black olive pieces, capsicum and tomato. Sprinkle with additional mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake for a further 20 mins or until the edges are golden brown and pizza is done.