When it came out of the oven, the kids were asking for it with both hands and ate one each…so I guess it’s a repeat recipe! Made a fluffy lemon cake last week and decided to cater to the young one’s taste buds this round. Cannot really go wrong when you pair one of their favourite jam spreads, nutella chocolate hazelnut goodness and a butter cake. Easy to make, it’s a good tea cake for families with young children.
- 220g salted butter (if using unsalted, add 1/8 tsp salt)
- 130g dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 50ml buttermilk (50ml milk with a few drops of lemon juice)
- 220g cake flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp soda bicarbonate
- 8 tbsp of Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and soda bicarbonate and place aside.
- Cream room temperature butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla essence and buttermilk, mixing well in each succession.
- Fold in flour and mix well in three parts.
- Pour half the cake mixture into a 7inch baking tin and level. Scoop in dollops of Nutella hazelnut chocolate spread evenly around the mixture.
- Pour in the remaining cake butter and pop the tin into the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 40-45 mins.
- It's ready when you remove a pick into the centre and it comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!