- Steak Au Poivre: Bring the meat to room temperature before cooking, about 20 minutes. Soak the peppercorns in the wine in a bowl.
- Heat a large frying pan to high, and season the meat with salt. When the pan is very hot, fry the steaks on both sides to your liking.
- Let the meat rest on a board while you make the sauce. Drain the peppercorns. Deglaze the pan with the stock, and boil it down to a generous tablespoon, about two minutes.
- Lower the heat, and add the peppercorns and cream to heat through. Put the meat back in the pan, turning once to coat. Serve.
- Potato Gratin: Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a large oven-proof fry pan or a specialty Pommes Anna pan, over medium high heat, heat ¼ cup of clarified butter. Arrange potato slices in a pan in a circle, overlapping the slices by ¼ inch.
- Drizzle top layer with a little more clarified butter and season with salt. Return the pan to the stove until the butter starts to bubble.
- Place in oven and bake until the potatoes are golden brown and soft when knife is inserted: about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour off excess fat. Invert into a serving platter and serve immediately.
You may also like