In Chinese cuisine, dates are a valuable nourishing ingredient.
So, here is the recipe for steamed herbal chicken with red dates and ginger.
- ½ Kampung chickenor use free-range
- 40g seedless red dateshalved
- 25g gingershredded
- 10g dried lily budsends trimmed and knotted
- 4 shallotspeeled
- 20g hoi chuk
- 15g yuk chuk
- 1tbsp Shao Hsing Hua Tiau rice wine
- Sauce (combined)
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- ½tsp pepper
- 1tbsp sugar
- ½tsp salt
- 3tbsp water
- 1tsp cornflour
- Bring a pot of water to boil and scald the chicken for 3–4 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Rub a tablespoon of the sauce evenly all over the chicken. Mix the remaining sauce with the the rest of the ingredients, except the wine.
- Arrange the chicken and the rest of the ingredients on a heatproof dish and steam over rapidly boiling water for 30 minutes, drizzling the rice wine over at the last 5 minutes of steaming.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, use a fork to poke through the thickest part of the chicken – if the liquid that ooze out is clear, it’s done.
- Serve immediately.