- Divide coconut milk into 2 portions. Mix one portion with rice flour and green bean flour and blend into a smooth batter.
- Boil the other portion with sugar and pandan leaves for a while. Stir to dissolve the sugar (do not bring to a rolling boil).
- Remove and leave aside to cool. Discard the pandan leaves and add this portion to the batter.
- Mix well to blend then divide into 2 portions again.
- Add red colouring to 1 portion and leave one portion uncoloured.
- You can divide the mixture into as many portions as you like, colouring each a different colour if you want a multi-coloured layer.
- Place a 25cm round cake pan in a steamer of rapidly boiling water. Pour a thin layer of white batter on it and steam for a while until it sets. Next, pour a thin layer of red batter and steam again.
- Repeat the process of pouring and steaming alternate colours, one at a time until the red and white batters are used up.
- For the final top layer add one to two drops of red colouring to get a deeper shade of pink. Cool kuih for at least 56 hours before cutting into diamond shaped pieces.
You may also like