Steamed Turmeric Rice also known as Nasi Kunyit in Malaysia is a favourite rice dish which goes well with most curries and rendang.
- 600g glutinous rice
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 dried tamarind slices
- ¾ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp white peppercorns
- 4-5 screwpine leaves, knotted
- 300ml thick coconut milk
- Rinse and soak glutinous rice with turmeric powder and dried tamarind slices for at least 7-8 hours or overnight. Drain rice well and leave aside.
- Line the base of a steamer with a piece of banana leaf. Place the rice on the banana leaf and mix in peppercorns. Arrange screwpine leaves over. Steam for 25 minutes over rapid boiling water.
- Put rice into a large mixing bowl. Mix salt with coconut milk and pour over the rice. Stir to mix. Place the mixing bowl in the steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
- When rice is almost cooked, stir well and continue to steam for another 5 minutes. Remove and leave aside to cool.