Winged bean (or Kacang Botol in Bahasa Malaysia) is also commonly known as four-angled bean thanks to its unique shape.
Many locals like to served the beans raw, however pairing them with the fiery sambal belacan made this stir-fried dish an irresistible one!
- 400g winged beans / four-angled beans (kacang botol)
- 1 piece of pre-softened dried squid (you can purchase pre-softened squid from marts)
- 3 tbsp sambal belacan paste
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 4 shallots, shredded
- 1 tsp sugar
- water, if necessary
- Slice winged beans at slant, at 1cm each.
- Score inside of squid in a cross-hatch pattern, cut into 1-inch strips.
- Heat oil in the pan. Saute garlic and onion with low flames.
- Add in sambal belacan paste and stir fry till fragrant.
- Add squid and stir fry until it starts to curl before adding the winged beans. Toss well. Do not overcook the beans.
- Add sugar and a few spoonful of water if the dish is too dry.
- Stir briskly and dish out.