Dates tastes delicious in both savory and sweet dishes.
So, here is the recipe for stuffed red dates in salty-sweet syrup.
- 200 g red dates (pick the large ones)
- Glutinous rice paste
- Salty-sweet syrup
- For glutinous rice paste:
- 1 20g glutinous rice flour
- 1 tbsp wheat starch (tang mien fun)
- 2½tbsp sugar
- ½tsp salt
- 50 ml hot water
- 100 ml water
- For salty-sweet syrup:
- 700 ml water
- 150 g rock sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g shelled gingko nuts (steamed till soft)
- 50 g dried longan flesh
- 3 pandan leaves (shredded and knotted)
- Remove seeds from the dates with a small slit – do not cut through. Soak the dates in water for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour, wheat starch, sugar and salt. Pour in hot water followed by water, and mix into a soft dough.
- Pinch a small piece of dough and stuff it into the date through the slit. Press the dough in gently.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and drop the dates in. Cook for 4–5 minutes, or until cooked through. Dish out with a slotted spoon and soak them in ice-cold water.
- Bring water and all the ingredients to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes.
- Serve the stuffed dates with the syrup.