Ingredients is not available.
- Steam sweet potato until soft. Peel and mash until smooth.
- Combine lukewarm water with the starter dough ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Leave aside to froth for about 1015 minutes.
- Mix sifted flour, milk powder, sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add in shortening and mashed sweet potato to mix. Pour in frothy liquid and add the egg. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough comes together.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rise for about one hour or until it doubles in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and remove onto a floured work tabletop. Roll out the dough slightly thicker than 1cm and stamp out rounds with a doughnut cutter. Gather the snaps and re-roll, then cut out more doughnuts.
- Place doughnuts on a non-stick baking paper and cover with a dry tea towel or a lightly greased cling film. Leave to rise for 1020 minutes or until they feel light and spongy.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in a wok over medium heat. Slip a few doughnuts into the oil at a time, leaving enough room for them to expand.
- Make sure that the oil is not too hot otherwise the doughnut will not be cooked. If the oil is not hot enough, the doughnut will absorb too much oil.
- When the doughnuts are golden brown, turn them over and cook the other side. It takes about 23 minutes to cook through.
- When done, remove doughnuts from oil and drain briefly on absorbent paper towels before rolling them in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- For kids´ stuff: Dip the doughnuts in melted chocolate and sprinkle with sugared coloured rice.