- Heat about 3-4 tbsp of oil in a pan over very low heat. Add mustard seeds, fennel, cumin and curry leaves.
- When mustard seeds stop spluttering, add onions, ginger, garlic, turmeric and chilli powder. Stir the mixture, gently roasting it over low heat for about 2-3 mins taking care not to burn it.
- It's important that the fire is low so as not to burn the chilli mix.
- Add tomatoes, tamarind juice and pumpkin to the chilli masala. Coat the pumpkin evenly and increase the fire to medium heat, stirring continously for about 1 -2 minutes.
- Add salt, water and cook the pumpkin covered, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the pan. If more water is required, add a little at a time till vegetable is done.
- Remove from stove once it's cooked and garnish with coriander or mint leaves.
- Do lower the heat if you are a beginner throughout this preparation.
- Note: The skin of the pumpkin is hard but the interior cooks fast, about 20 mins on high heat.
You may also like