Muesli bread is not only packed with nutrients but also packed with flavours.
Related story: How to make a multigrain bread
- For the sponge:
- 200 g bread flour
- 2 g instant active dry yeast
- 116 g water
- For the dough:
- 120 g bread flour
- 80 g Multigrain and seeds
- 8 g instant active dry yeast
- 108 g water (cold)
- 8 g salt
- 32 g sugar
- 6 g bread improver (Vitamin C)
- 16 g Vital Wheat Gluten (dry)
- 40 g Dried Cranberries
- 60 g Dried Apricot
- 60 g raisins
- 32 g butter
- 100 g almond flakes (toasted)
- 40 g barley
- 120 g cold water (cold)
- Just premix the flour and the yeast and then add cold water. Knead on slow speed for five minutes until it forms a dough ball. The consistency of the sponge should be slightly rough, cold and underdeveloped. After three hours of fermentation on the kitchen table, it will be transformed into a softer and more flavourful sponge. You can now use it to make the dough.
- Soak 40g barley in 120g water for a few hours and boil until softened. Refrigerate the cooked barley before adding to the dough.
- Add all the dry ingredients except almond flakes, cranberries, apricot and raisins into the mixing bowl.
- Add cold water, cooked barley, sponge and mix on slow speed for 1 minute and medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Add butter and continue on medium speed for 5 - 8 minutes until dough is fully developed. Mix in fruits and nuts on slow speed for 30 seconds.
- Scale three pieces at 350g each. Mould the dough round and rest dough for 10 minutes.
- Sheet out and fold into three. Roll out again and mould into a cylindrical shape.
- Wet the surface of the dough and dip into a tray of multigrain and seeds.
- Place into small tins and proof for 45 minutes until dough is 1 cm above the tin.
- Bake at 200 degrees Celcius for about 25 minutes.
- Multigrain is a mixture of equal parts of sesame seeds, flaxseeds, rolled oats, millet, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and wheat or oat bran. This is a health bread which is full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.