This is my favourite bento recipe. It takes some practice, but it´s not difficult. Instead of buying a rectangular pan, I use the rectangular camping mess tin I have. But you can also make it in a round pan. This video demonstrates how to make it.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Beat the eggs lightly, and add all the seasoning. Strain.
- Heat pan over medium heat.
- Dip a folded kitchen towel in the oil, and grease the pan.
- Then, pour in half a ladleful of the egg and coat the pan surface evenly.
- Cook gently, and as soon as the egg is set on its bottom but still soft on top, start rolling the omelette to the end of the pan with a chopstick.
- Then, grease the pan again and repeat the process. When the second layer is ready, roll the rolled omelette onto it and towards the end (watch the iSnap video).
- If the pan is too hot, you could lower the heat, or lift the pan away from the fire.
- Three eggs should make four layers in a small rectangular pan.
- When it has cooled down, slice the egg roll.