- 250g okra or lady's fingers
- 4 tbsp oil
- For the sambal (combined)
- 2 tbsp sambal belacan
- 1 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked and coarsely chopped
- 3 shallots pounded finely
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 12 tbsp water
- Blanch whole okra pods in boiling water for about 45 minutes. Remove with a slotted ladle and cool it in a bowl of ice water or until just tender (but still crispy).
- Leave the pods whole or, if preferred, slice diagonally, then place on a serving platter.
- To make the sambal, heat oil in a wok and fry the combined sambal ingredients until fragrant and the oil rises.
- Dish out and spoon the sambal ingredients over the okra. Serve immediately with hot plain rice.