You’re in for a treat with hearty recipes with big, big flavours. This recipe was first published in Amy Beh’s column, Cook’s Nook.
- 100ml thick coconut milk
- Spice paste (finely ground):
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 5 green bird’s eye chillies
- 4 green chillies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 shallots, peeled
- 2.5cm dried shrimp paste (belacan), toasted
- 2thin slices galangal
- 2cm knob fresh turmeric
- 1/2tsp black peppercorns
- 250ml water
- 150g salted fish, cleaned
- 150g pineapple, sliced
- 150g brinjals, sliced
- 3 long beans, cut into 3cm lengths
- 1 torch ginger bud, split and finely sliced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- 1tsp sugar or to taste
- salt to taste
- Pour coconut milk into a saucepan and add in ground spice paste.
- Cook until fragrant. Pour in water and cook until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add salted fish, then the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the seasoning, and adjust to taste if necessary
- Dish out and serve with hot steamed rice.