- 1 medium-sized garoupa or tilapia
- 1 stalk lemon grass smashed
- 4-5 bird's eye chillies (chilli padi) smashed
- 2 kaffir lime leaves finely sliced
- 2 pieces dried tamarind skin (asam keping)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Sauce ingredients (B):
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock granules or water
- Some Chinese parsley leaves
- Some chilli curls and spring onions
- Scale and clean fish well. Make 2 slanting cuts on both sides of the fish.
- Steam fish on high heat for about 10-12 minutes. Discard excess liquid from the plate.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry ingredients (A) until fragrant. Add in sauce ingredients (B). Cook for 2-3 minutes then pour the sauce over the fish. Garnish before serving.