Does your kid love cheese and nachos? This bento recipe consists of a snazzy bed of tortilla chips nachos topped with crushed avocados and melted cheese, served with a fresh salsa. Recipe and photo courtesy of Mission Foods.
- Tornado Chips:
- original tortilla chips
- 1/2 avocado (cut into cubes and mashed)
- 1 handful scallion (chopped finely)
- 1 handful mozzarella (or cheddar cheese; grated)
- 3 small tomatoes (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 handful coriander (chopped finely)
- 1 onion (chopped finely)
- 1 bell pepper (cut into small pieces)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped finely)
- Lemon Juice (1 lemon)
- salt to taste
- 1 small egg (hard-boiled)
- 1 Babybel cheese mini
- oranges and grapes
- To make Tornado Chips: In a heatproof dish, top original tortilla chips with avocado, scallion and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake in oven at 180°C for 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- To make Salsa: Add all ingredients together with a dash of salt. Mix well.
- Alternatively, add all ingredients into a food processor and blend well.
- To assemble the Tornado Chips Bento: Place Tornado Chips into one side of the bento box.
- Pour salsa into a little silicone cup to go with the chips.
- To make it more interesting, place one hard-boiled egg (still warm) in an egg mold. Close the mold firmly, dip quickly into a bowl of cold water and leave for at least 10 minutes before removing the egg.
- Style the bento with the egg, the mini Babybel cheese as well as a few pieces of oranges and grapes into the Tornado Chips Bento for a colourful and tasty lunch.