- 300g vegetarian chicken meat
- 80g black beans (hak tau), soaked for several hours
- 15 small sized dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked
- 100g black fungus, soaked, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2-3 tbsp sesame oil
- 800ml black vinegar
- 200ml sweet black vinegar
- 500ml water
- 500g mature ginger, skinned and mashed
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- Dry fry the black beans in a non-stick pan until the skins break and they are fragrant. Dish out and put aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a pot until fragrant. Add mushrooms and black fungus. Fry until aromatic. Pour in both vinegars and water and add ginger and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add vegetarian chicken meat and continue to cook for an extra 10-15 minutes.