Walnuts are rich in antioxidants and a versatile baking ingredient.
This recipe is best with
- 175g butter
- 60g castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 8 egg yolks
- 190g self-raising flour
- 8 egg whites
- 75g castor sugar
- 100g toasted walnuts, chopped coarsely
- Grease and line a 25cm square or round baking pan with non-stick parchment paper. Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Beat butter, 60g sugar and essence until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, two at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift in self-raising four and mix until well combined. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until just turning frothy. Add 75g sugar. Continue to whisk until mixture is just stiff, taking care not to overbeat. Fold into the batter gradually.
- Stir in walnuts then turn mixture into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until done when tested with a wooden skewer.