This recipe is best with
- 310g high protein flour
- 40g wholemeal flour
- 3g cocoa powder
- 50g castor sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 9g instant dried yeast
- 1/4 tsp bread improver
- 40g butter
- 60g sultanas
- 25g toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 150-180ml lukewarm fresh milk
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 small egg
- For sprinkling over the buns
- Some instant oats
- Lightly grease cookie trays and set aside.
- Sift high protein flour and wholemeal flour into a mixing bowl, then return the husks from the sieve into the bowl.
- Fix a dough hook onto the cake mixer. Stir in salt, sugar, cocoa powder, bread improver and yeast. Beat at low speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix instant coffee with warm milk. Pour coffee milk mixture into the flour mixture. Use a spatula to mix well. Add the egg. Turn on the mixer for 1-2 minutes. Add butter, sultanas and walnuts and beat at medium speed for 7-8 minutes until elastic.
- Roll dough into a log. Cut into 70g portions. Shape each portion into a round roll. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle some instant oats over it. Place each ball of dough on the prepared trays and cover with a clean tea-towel. Allow it to rise until double in size.
- Bake in preheated oven at 190°C for 15 minutes.