- 1 (about 2kg) winter melon, washed
- 2 whole kampung chicken legs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 100g jin hua ham, sliced
- 5 red dates, seeded
- 1 tbsp kei chi
- 2 slices tong kwai
- 5g tong sum, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing Hua Tiau wine
- Slice off the stem end of the winter melon to form a lid. Scoop out seeds and pith. Rinse the melon with boiling water.
- Blanch chicken and ham with boiling water. Drain well. Put all ingredients into the winter melon. Stand the melon on a plate to hold it steady and upright.
- Pour in 1 cup of chicken stock. Cover with lid and steam over gentle boiling water for about an hour.
- Add seasoning to taste and serve the soup immediately.