Ingredients is not available.
- Blanch pork fat in boiling water for about 1-2 minutes, remove and drain well.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry garlic until fragrant. Add remaining filling ingredients and stir-fry well. Mix in seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Thicken with cornflour mixture.
- Dish out and leave to cool completely. Refrigerate before use.
- For the yam pastry: Steam yam until soft then remove into a mixing bowl. Add sugar and five spice powder. Mash the yam while it is still hot.
- Combine boiling water with wheat starch and mix well using a small short rolling pin. Stir until smooth then mix with the mashed yam. Add shortening and mix until well combined.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
- Roll the yam dough into a long roll and cut into small portions of about 20g each.
- Flatten the dough with a rolling pin and wrap around a tablespoon of filling. Seal and shape into an oval-shaped dumpling.
- Heat oil over medium heat and deep-fry dumplings in batches for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.